Welcome to the Online Master of Science in Business Analytics Program at the University of Nevada, Reno.
Summer Applications Due:
Thursday, Apr. 6, 2023
Summer Classes Start:
Monday, May 15, 2023
In 2018 the World Economic Forum predicted that by 2022, 85% of companies will have adopted big data and analytics technologies. It also found that 96% of companies were definitely or likely to hire new permanent staff with relevant skills to fill future big data analytics roles.*
That’s because businesses thrive on information. As technology changes how the world does business, key performance indicators and other types of measurements are critical to financial success. The data revealed through business analytics provides better insight, leading to greater opportunity.
Guided by expert faculty, the online Master of Science in Business Analytics (MSBA) program at the University of Nevada, Reno can help you tap into the power of big data to drive smarter decisions. You’ll develop a solid, in-depth understanding of AI and other cutting-edge technologies helping to define the future of business.
Flexible scheduling with 100% online coursework
A small student-to-faculty ratio
AACSB accredited College of Business
Learn at your convenience with 3 start dates per year
STEM designation conferred by the U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security
Study with an R1 Carnegie Classification research institution
Why choose the University of Nevada, Reno for your online MSBA?
In today’s business world, fierce competition exists everywhere — increasing the importance of understanding the numbers behind the numbers. Our online Master of Science in Business Analytics program will prepare you to launch a career exploring and analyzing data that identifies and answers the mounting questions critical to organizations of every type.
Businesses can now collect, analyze and store massive amounts of information. With an online MSBA, you’ll learn innovative methods to help implement data-driven decisions quickly and with greater efficiency. You’ll also gain a solid understanding of the leadership, security, legal and ethical issues surrounding the use of vast amounts of data.
Taught by an industry-active faculty of professionals, the online MSBA program focuses on the analysis and dissection of information at a near forensic level. This better equips you to identify habits, forecast trends and develop actionable strategies that can positively impact business operations with minimal turnaround.
Turning ones and zeros into dollars and sense
To help position you for career readiness toward real-world application, the University of Nevada, Reno’s MSBA program emphasizes four distinct skillsets that guide our curriculum and could potentially add career value. These focus areas include:
- Business Analysis Methods: The ability to formulate a question and answer it using statistical methods.
- Data Management: The understanding of how both “big” and “regular” data are stored in organizations, with the ability to transform that data into usable data sets for decision-making.
- Information Visualization: The understanding of how information is created from data using visualization methods to explore patterns, analyze data, tell a story and provide persuasive evidence to help plan strategy.
- Organizational Decision-Making: Knowledge of how organizations are structured and how people make decisions throughout the different levels in an organization.
An inclusive business analytics transition program.
Although students with a strong technical understanding of computer science often choose a career in data analytics, many successful programmers have also come from artistic, creative and other backgrounds. For this reason, we have developed a focused and dedicated entry point to guide and nurture our nontraditional students as they quickly get up to speed.
Incoming students are required to obtain the necessary competencies through our non-credit Bootcamp. This Bootcamp consists of three weeks of self-paced exercises, and includes a foundational understanding of open-source programming languages that includes R and Python.
The Bootcamp allows students from diverse educational backgrounds — or those with previous coursework — to position themselves for success not only in the program, but also in the growing field of business analytics.
To be eligible for admission into the online Master of Science in Business Analytics program, you must meet the following requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Minimum 2.75 GPA in the last two years of undergraduate study
- English language proficiency
- Prerequisite courses:
- Undergraduate course in Statistics
- Introduction to Information Systems (which includes MS Office and Excel)
- Bootcamp: All students who are admitted to the MSBA program are required to successfully complete the preprogram, self-paced, non-credit, free of cost MSBA Skills Bootcamp.
In addition, please include the following documents with your application:
- A one-page personal statement
- Two letters of recommendation
- Curriculum vitae or resume
Ready to get started?