Welcome to the Online Master of Accountancy Program at the University of Nevada, Reno.
The University of Nevada, Reno’s online Master of Accountancy program goes far beyond the fundamentals to explore the intricacies of advanced accounting, tax laws, financial analysis and reporting. Our online MAcc program is carefully designed to help you develop the strong technical skills that many employers seek.
With a curriculum that’s structured to elevate your understanding of general accounting principles, we help foster innovative thinking through an emphasis on the skills needed to perform exceptionally and thrive in the business world. You’ll also learn the virtues of teamwork, leadership and effective communication with the convenience of 100% online coursework, meaning you can schedule classes around work and other important life commitments.
As an experienced or future accountant, there’s no shortage of graduate-level business programs from which to choose. Earning your online master of accountancy degree will empower you toward career fulfillment with a focused, specialized skillset that draws from a broader set of business insights.
Learn at your convenience with 3 start dates per year
Designed to prepare students for the CPA exam
GRE/GMAT waiver for
Study with an R1 Carnegie Classification research institution
Business is all about supply and demand. So is your career.
The accounting field has recently experienced a higher than average growth rate compared to other fields. An August 2019 report by Glassdoor.com listed “tax manager” as the highest-rated profession for its Best Career Opportunities in the U.S.* And according to Payscale, salaries are also on the rise, along with a workforce that’s almost evenly split along gender lines.
Industry-wide change isn’t just on the horizon — it’s already here. A solid education can empower you to look beyond current best practices while developing the critical thinking and analytical skills needed to succeed in accounting. Advancing your accounting skills through education can help you adapt to serve the needs of a business world that is increasingly influenced by technology and global enterprise. Several factors that support this include:
- A projected growth rate of 10% for accountants and auditors between 2016 and 2026, as reported by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS)
- Increased globalization and overseas operations, with accounting standards and tax systems that differ by region and nation
- A rise in the use of blockchain and digital currency, along with the need to accurately organize, track and manage these assets**
- An increase in cybercrime and identity theft, which is predicted to result in $6 trillion worth of global losses by 2021***
The accounting profession is growing. Now is your time to shine.
Ready to engage the exciting and fast-paced world of accounting from a true business perspective? The advanced skills you gain at the University of Nevada, Reno can help you adapt and excel in your career through various positions in the field, including:
- Certified public accountant
- Compliance officer
- Financial analyst
- Corporate accounting manager
- Forensic accountant
- Internal auditor
- Tax manager
- Credit analyst
Accounting professionals are in high demand throughout the following industries:
- Banking/financial institutions
- Nonprofit organizations
- Private equity firms
To be eligible for admission into the online Master of Accountancy program, you must meet the following requirements:
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting
- Applicants with a degree from an AACSB-accredited school and minimum GPA of 2.75 and B or better in all accounting courses.
- Applicants with a degree from any other regionally-accredited school must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 and B or better in all accounting courses.
- Undergraduate degree in other fields
- Applicants with an undergraduate degree in fields other than Accounting with a minimum of two years of relevant work experience will be required to complete up to six courses in the Background program and will be required to maintain a grade of B or better in the Background program before matriculating into the Core program.
- English language proficiency
The following additional documentation must also be provided in order for consideration into the Online MAcc program:
- Three letters of recommendation (supervisor, professional, academic)
- Statement of purpose
- Official transcripts from each college or university attended
Master of Accountancy degree online curriculum
Our dedicated faculty has outlined — and adheres to — a structured curriculum model that guides students toward individual and collaborative success, while also promoting high academic standards. This commitment to education helps to ensure that you graduate with the depth of knowledge needed to make a valuable and lasting contribution to the accounting field.
Based upon level of experience and education, we offer two paths for earning your online Master of Accountancy degree, each offering an immersive learning environment that explores the functional areas of accounting in the business community:
Builds conceptual awareness for students who are new to the profession. Bridge courses address important accounting concepts prior to transitioning into upper-level coursework. Background track credits are applicable towards state requirements for the CPA exam.
Background Track (Includes all courses listed in the Core Track, along with the following bridge courses)
|ACC 701||Intermediate Accounting I||3 Credits|
|ACC 702||Intermediate Accounting II||3 Credits|
|ACC 703||Intermediate Accounting III||3 Credits|
|ACC 705||Cost Accounting||3 Credits|
|ACC 710||Federal Taxation||3 Credits|
|ACC 770||Auditing||3 Credits|
Reinforces and elevates knowledge of industry concepts toward a higher level of mastery for experienced professionals with a bachelor’s degree in accounting.
|ACC 750||Accounting Seminar||3 Credits|
|ACC 780||Accounting Research||3 Credits|
|ACC 607||Governmental and Not-for-Profit Accounting||3 Credits|
|ACC 611||Taxation of Flow-through Entities||3 Credits|
|ACC 604||Advanced and International Accounting||3 Credits|
|ACC 783||Taxation of Corporations||3 Credits|
|BAN 701||Business Analysis Methods||3 Credits|
|BAN 702||Data Transformation and SQL||3 Credits|
|ACC 675||Ethics and Professional Responsibility in Accounting||3 Credits|
|ACC 759||Accounting Theory (Capstone)||3 Credits|
Gain the technical and professional skills you need for a promising and rewarding career with an Online Master of Accountancy.