Lynn Short, RDH, MPH
Associate Director of Online Programs, Teaching Assistant Professor
Lynn Short’s research interests are founded in prevention — focusing on oral cancer, access to care for vulnerable populations and supporting unique workforce models. She works to integrate oral health and prevention into diverse facets of health care and has spoken nationally on the integration of oral health into the Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child model.
- American Public Health Association
- Association of State and Territorial Dental Directors
- Nevada Public Health Association
- American Fluoridation Institute – Communications Director (2020 – present)
- World Federation of Public Health Associations – Oral Health Work Group (2012 – present)
- American Public Health Association – Executive Board (2011 to 2016), Chair (2016)
- L. Bethel Short. Author. Nutrition for the Older Adult. Chapter 13 – Diseases and Conditions in the Older Adult: Nutritional Implications – Oral Health. Third Edition. Jones and Bartlett Publishers, Sudbury, MA, 2019.
- L. Bethel. Contributor. Community Oral Health Practices for the Dental Hygienist edited by Christine French Beatty – Chapter 2: Careers in Public Health for the Dental Hygienist. Fourth Edition. Elsevier Publishing, Philadelphia, PA, March 2016.
- L. Bethel. Co-Author. Dental Clinics of North America. Geriatric Dentistry: Chapter 11 – “Innovations in Dental Care Delivery for the Older Adult.” Elsevier Publishing, Philadelphia, PA, volume 58, issue 4, October 2014.
- L. Bethel. Author. Nutrition for the Older Adult. Chapter 13 – Diseases and Conditions in the Older Adult: Nutritional Implications – Oral Health. Second Edition. Jones and Bartlett Publishers, Sudbury, MA, 2014.
- The Commonwealth’s High-Risk Senior Population: Results and Recommendations from a 2009 Statewide Oral Health Assessment, 2010.
- The Status of Oral Disease in Massachusetts: A Great Unmet Need, 2009.
- A Report on the Commonwealth’s Dental Hygiene Workforce: Results and Recommendations from a 2007 Statewide Survey, 2007.
- Association of State and Territorial Dental Directors, National Webinar, November 2019
- “Social Media Collaborations”
- Nevada Public Health Association Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, Nevada, September 2018
- “Community Water Fluoridation: The Legislative Journey of An Evidence-Based Practice”
- National School-based Health Alliance Annual Conference, Indianapolis, Indiana, June 2018
- “The Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child Model: A collaborative approach to improving children’s health”
- National Oral Health Conference, Louisville, Kentucky, April 2018
- “The New Neighborhoods: How Social Networks are Reshaping Public Health Communication”
- National Association of Chronic Disease Directors, October 2017
- “Oral Health and the WSCC Model”
- National Oral Health Conference: Albuquerque, New Mexico, April 2017
- “The View: The Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child Model”
- “The End of Big: Adapting health communications to a rapidly changing, decentralized online environment”
- Smiles@School Summit: Inter-Connecting Children’s Oral Health and Learning, Minneapolis, Minnesota, August 2016
- “Integrating Oral Health into the Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child Model”
- American Public Health Association Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, November 2015
- “Funding APHA Priorities: Achieving financial sustainability, maintaining organizational integrity”
- Oral Health America, Chicago, IL, September 2015
- “Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child = Better Oral Health”
- Nevada Public Health Association Annual Meeting, Reno, NV, September 2015
- “Oral Health: A Neglected Public Health Problem”
- Nevada Disabilities Conference, Sparks, Nevada, July 2015
- “Connecting Oral Health to Every Child”
- National Oral Health Conference, Kansas City, MO, April 2015
- “Social Media Matters: Making Oral Health Part of the Conversation”
- MPH, Boston University School of Public Health, 1995 – Social and Behavioral Sciences
- BS, Old Dominion University, 1984 – Dental Hygiene/Sociology (minor)